Metal finishing is an important industrial process that alters metal surfaces to get a particular property or effect. It is a broad industry term used to describe multiple metal production processes, including metal plating, chemical finishing, buffing, grinding, and electroplating. Each of these processes impacts the final quality or property of the metal differently. Remember, this process is an excellent choice whenever you want to improve the aesthetics of a metallic surface.
Types of Metal Finishing Processes
Various methods suffice whenever you want to execute the metal finishing process. A metal finishing company will choose multiple metal finishing service methods to produce its work. However, the following types of metal finishing processes are at your disposal.
- Metal Brushing: Metal brushing is an excellent metal finishing process that helps remove surface imperfections. This process relies on brushes and finishing machines that create a uniform, parallel grain surface, assuring you of enhanced smoothness.
- Plating: Metal plating is a finishing method where the metal is deposited on the substrate. You’ll rely on this method to coat a metal surface, protecting it from various corrosive elements. This method works in two ways: electroless and electroplating. The difference between these two is that the latter uses electricity to deposit the metal on the substrate while the former does not.
- Powder Coating: This method involves the application of free-flowing dry powder on the metal surface. It combines various agents, including a polymer, pigments, leveling agents, and flow modifiers. It is a popular choice among people who are conscious of the environment. Besides, it provides premium-quality, durable, and efficient results in the long run.
- Buff Polishing: This method relies on abrasive compounds, which help provide a lustrous finish to metals. It comes in handy in removing lines on the metal surface. Its resultant brightness makes it ideal for smooth surfaces and round edges. At the same time, you could opt for cut buffing and finish buffing.
- Metal Grinding: This type of metal finishing assures you of a smooth surface through three things: attrition, friction, and compression. You’ll use it to remove the rough edges on a metallic surface. Further, it is suitable for creating sharp edges, deburring, and smooth welds.
- Thermal Spraying: This is one of the most popular metal finishing processes at your disposal. You could also refer to it as a plasma spray coating. Usually, it requires that you apply molten material to a metal surface at high velocity, forming a hard and solid coating. Notably, this approach can alter the electrical properties of a metal.
- Sandblasting: This method is designed to help remove debris, dirt, and dust particles from a metal surface. Its popularity is thanks to its effectiveness, efficiency, and fastness. A metal finishing company will often choose from various types of sandblasting, including plastic, glass beads, silicon carbide, and corn cob grit. The method chosen determines the kind of finish you get in the long run.
In conclusion, metal finishing is a critical process that determines the appearance of your metal surface. There are various finishing methods you could consider. With the insights above, choosing the right one will be a lot easier.